Bruce Johnson Memorial Scholarship
Click Here for the Application
The Bruce Johnson Memorial Scholarship is given annually in memory of Bruce Johnson, long-time Treasurer of Section V, who passed away suddenly in the summer of 1998. The award, sponsored by Dean Licata and Associates, is a one-time cash award of $500 which may be paid directly to the college of the recipient's choice or established as an open account at the college's bookstore for books or other defined school supplies.
The winner of the award will be the applicant who best proves himself in each of the following requirements for the award:
1. Must be a member of his high school's senior class and complete all graduation requirements in June.
2. Academic Achievement. The applicant must have achieved a minimum of an 85% average in all academic courses, as evidenced in a letter from his school counselor which states his current cumulative average of his 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade years, and also his class rank.
3. Community Service. The applicant needs to be community minded and participate in volunteer activities to help others, receiving no pay for the activity.
4. Athletic Participation. The applicant must be a member of his school's Varsity basketball squad at least in his senior year and request a letter of recommendation from his Varsity Coach.
5. Leadership. Applicant must have been involved in other school activities in a leadership role, as evidenced by offices held and goals accomplished.
6. Applicant must be planning a career in business, either as a business education teacher, or in an acceptable business program which leads to an occupation in the business world, accounting or other acceptable related fields.
7. Applicant must complete the attached Application and return it, along with requested letters of Recommendation to the address below:
Section V Boys' Basketball Committee
2017-2018 Scholarship Application
45 Mill Street
Spencerport, NY 14559
The winner of the award will be notified by phone and will be expected to be in attendance at the Blue Cross Arena at the Rochester War Memorial Saturday Night, March 3, 2018.
Application must be received no later than February 15, 2018, to be eligible for consideration.