The Brockport Custom Carpet/Hage Family Scholarship is given for the first time this year to a Section V Boys' Varsity Basketball player who has demonstrated financial need and the ability to overcome adversity. Sponsored by Brockport Custom Carpet and the Hage Family, is a one-time cash award of $250, which may be paid directly to the college of the recipient's choice or established as an open account at the college's bookstore for books or other defined school supplies.
The winner of the award will be the applicant who best proves himself in each of the following requirements for the award:
1. Must be a member of his high school's senior class and complete all graduation requirements in June.
2. Academic Achievement. The applicant must have achieved a minimum of an 70% average in all academic courses, as evidenced in a letter from his school counselor which states his current cumulative average of his 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade years.
3. Athletic Participation. The applicant must be a member of his school's Varsity basketball squad at least in his senior year and request a letter of recommendation from his Varsity Coach.
4. Citizenship. Applicant must have been involved in other school activities and represent his school well both on and off the court.
5. Applicant must be planning to attend a two or four year school, with a declared goal of career ambition.
6. Applicant must make a valid declaration of financial hardship as a result of adversity in the family. Such adversity could be, but is not limited to, any of the following: Death of a parent, loss of income through a parent's loss of employment, natural disaster, such as loss of home due to fire. The adversity can be addressed in the application for the scholarship.
7. Applicant must complete the attached Application and return it, along with requested letters of Recommendation to the address below no later than Friday, February 1, 2016:
The winner of the award will be notified by phone and will be expected to be in attendance at the Blue Cross Arena at the Rochester War Memorial Saturday Night, March 3, 2018.
Application must be received no later than February 15, 2018, to be eligible for consideration.